Monday 1 October 2012

One Big Welly !! ... Pork Stuffing and Bacon Wellington

so heres a great one for you !! a total experiment that turned out a winner !!







particularly simple to do as well ... 

well simple if you do a few cheats like me (i bought ready to roll puff pastry and it was packet stuffing rather than homemade) 

but yeh - just assembly really ... and this is what i did ... 

1) I seared my pork tenderloin for a few mins, just to brown it off.

2) I then cut the fat off of about 8 slices of bacon (use as little or as much as you like, i was finishing off a pack i had in the fridge - i used unsmoked) and wrapped my tenderloin. 

3) I made the stuffing - slightly dryer than the packet suggested and laid it out on greaseproof paper. I laid my tenderloin on top and wrapped the tenderloin. My stuffing was slightly too short, so i could have done with making the stuffing layer slightly thinner so it completely coated the outside. Mary Berry would not have been impressed, because the bacon was touching the pastry it has a soggy bottom! (also, do not use a fruity stuffing, the pastry will not enjoy the fruit and will suck up the moisture)

4) I then baked my stuffing coated on 220 degrees for about 20 mins so that the stuffing felt crispy. 

5) I then left my tenderloin to cool completely, this is very very important else your pastry will steam whilst cooking if the filling is hot, and then it won't crisp. 

6) Roll out the pastry so that you have a "thinnish" layer of pastry, it needs to be longer than the tenderloin by   a fee inches either side and wide enough to be wrapped around the whole thing. 

7) I then baked it in he over for about 40-45 mins on 190 degrees, keep your eye on it though, cooking time will depend on size and thickness of pastry. 

 * when using pork you must make sure it is well cooked, I sliced my wellington straight through the middle before serving to check this, it is a good idea to make sure it is well on it's way to being cooked at the first bake, whilst baking the stuffing then it can just finish off whilst the assembled wellington is cooking. 

this dish does take a while but it is really rewarding ... tastes amazing, and theres a pretty good sense of achievement that comes with. 








No comments:

Post a Comment